Sunday, October 21, 2012

Rule Of Thirds

 These are all pictures that I took of my little sister Sunday afternoon.  I have never really been one to be critical in taking photographs, but this assignment really opened my eyes that by following simple rules like the rule of thirds, photographs become much more than just a figure.  The saying, "A picture can say a million words" really states true in my instance of taking pictures of my sister.  Not only is my sister beautiful, but by following these rules, her photos become stunning!   If I take a look at previous photos that I have taken, and then compare them to what I have learned, there is no comparison.  You can really distinguish the difference between a good photographer and a not so good photographer.  

I implemented a lot of strong Vectors, especially Graphic ones.  Since I was taking portraits it was kind of hard to get nature involved, and motion.  You can see and feel a strong sense of direction in these photos.  The direction draws you to my sisters face, her eyes, mouth, nose, etc.  By using these vectors, the image is now easy on the eye and to me, these pictures are raw art. You can see just enough contrast of the background, which makes for the use of positive and negative space. 

The Diagonal Rule wasn't a strong point for me to distinguish in taking these photos, I can see it taking place a little in the first photograph with my sister laying on her stomach with legs crossed in the air, and head tilted. This gives more dynamics and helps finish, or balance off the picture.  If everything were just straight vertical or horizontal, we wouldn't be able to have the same feeling or have that finished look that really makes for this picture. 

This has probably been one of my favorite assignments and has definitely sparked my inner creative side to photography.  Its a blast and I would really love to learn more, and get some more experience. 


No comments:

Post a Comment